Sunday, September 19, 2010

Top Tracks # 21 The Joubert Singers – Stand On the Word (Larry Levan Mix)



So, the Pope’s here then. He will, it seems be driving past Baron Towers shortly. Bless ‘im. I’m not religious. I’m not even one of those ‘hedging my bets’ kind of people. I don’t buy into any of that heaven and hell, everlasting life, repent your sins business whatsoever. You’re born. You do some stuff. You stop doing some stuff. That’s yer lot I’m afraid. Good luck to anyone who does have a faith, if it makes you happy (and as long as you don’t use it as reason to go around murdering/haranguing people who don’t share your view of the world or as a cover for fisting kiddies) that’s fine by me. The one bit that does tickle my fancy from time to time however is gospel music (I recognise that the Pope has very little to do with gospel music and that this is all just a flimsy excuse for indulging in my penchant for gay disco music, but there we go). A really good gospel choir just gets the hairs on my devil’s horns going. Maybe it’s down to the fact that the people doing the singing believe what they’re saying 100% or perhaps they really are infused with some kind of holy spirit? Shit. Perhaps I’ve been wrong all these years? Perhaps I should jack in gigs and devote myself to spreading the word of the Lord instead? Nah. Cobblers. So (although I guess gospel purists would hold up their hands in horror) here’s a top gospel type track (albeit with a thumping great disco heart). The Lord works in funky ways...

PS: I particularly like this version with the radio ad at the beginning –“I’m ready to come into somebody and do a change in their situation”...I can think of a quite a few people that I’d like to come into and do a change in their situation...

No comments: