Monday, November 28, 2022

Irene Cara RIP


If you had to pick two songs that really set the mood for the 80s I reckon Fame and Flashdance wouldn't be a bad choice. Brimming with 'me against the world' ambition and produced with pop perfection in mind both tunes soundtracked massively successful movies and were, of course, sung by Irena Cara who's just passed away at the age of 63. 

I bought the Fame 7 inch waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in 1981, which must make it one of my first record purchases, and still have it in a box somewhere. Amazingly, after such an incredible start to her career, Cara's last top 40 hit was in 1984 although she continued to perform over the years, seemingly often as a backing vocalist to other acts. I guess topping two of the most iconic songs of the early 80s ain't an easy trick to pull off though eh? Still, as legacies go that's a pretty awesome pair of tunes to have under your musical belt. RIP Irene. 

No comments: