Saturday, December 12, 2009

Top Tracks # 10 – The Waitresses – Christmas Wrapping

I know that Christmas day is still a couple of weeks off, but what the hell, let’s have a Christmas themed Top Track eh? There aren’t that many cool Christmas songs, but I reckon this one, from 1981, makes the grade (no video sadly...not sure whether they ever made one?). The Waitresses were a new wave group from Ohio (hello out there the Bobby Dazzler) and this release was a UK smash hit reaching the dizzy heights of number 45 in the charts. It’s got just the right balance of cynicism and hope that a great Christmas single needs in my book, all set against some funky bass and kick ass horns. X Factor be damned. Bah humbug!

3 comments:

Digbeth Slacker said...

Personally i think it's right up there with The Pogues 'Fairytale..' and with the amount of people i speak to who love this song i'm really suprised it never charts!

Liz said...

I absolutely love this one, and along with Tom McRae's cover of Wonderful Christmastime (seek it out - it's worth a listen!) it's one of the only seasonal songs I can bear.

The Baron said...

Seasons greetings to you both. DS - I couldn't agree more, this and 'Fairytale' are the ultimate Christmas tunes for me.

Liz - I'll have a listen...I can feel my nuts roasting by the open fire as we speak.