Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Voodoo we have here...

Come again? The Voodoo Trombone Quartet? Righty ho. I’m not averse to a bit of voodoo…let’s stick their new album (the winningly titled ‘The Voodoo Trombone Quartet…again’ into the old CD player, jab a few pins in my arm and see what the spirits say…whoooo…spooky. I have to say it’s a curious mix, like putting the head of a chicken on the body of a goat. On the one hand you’ve got parping ska driven horns, on the other there’s a distinctly dancey vibe, kind of DJ Shadow meets Reel Big Fish. There are Asian influences (witness the sitar on Double Bluff), early hippity hop (exhibit A…a cover of (Hey You) The Rocksteady Crew…I’m not making this up) and some cool salsa-tastic Latin Americana too (on My Name In Food). In fact it’s a right old gumbo, but, like a right old gumbo, put it all together and it’s a pretty tasty dish. They’re a band that just scream to be heard live and I’m guessing that the album will really gel in my head when (and if) I get the chance to see them in the flesh as it were (hopefully the flesh will still be in good nick, not falling off their bones in a voodoo undead stylee). ‘Voodoo’ give it a listen, ho ho ho…(oh dear…sometimes I surprise even myself).

‘The Voodoo Trombone Quartet…Again’ is out on Freshley Squeezed Music on the 8th June 2009

No comments: