Monday, August 07, 2023

Wild Forever - Sophie Ellis-Bextor


I first encountered Sophie Ellis-Bextor when she was in underrated Brit Poppers theaudience waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in 1996/7 and I followed some of her early solo work with Spiller and, of course, the classic Murder On The Dancefloor, but I'd lost track of her output recently. So, when I spotted a copy of her 2016 album, Familia, in a charity shop at the weekend for £1 I thought I'd take a punt on it (yes, I know...a whole pound...reckless eh?). 

Co-written with Ed Harcourt it's top notch pop stuffed full of instantly memorable tracks, several of which remind me of other tracks but I'm buggered if I can remember what they are. Maybe that's why the album's called Familia (no, I know it's not but I can't resist a bit of mild punning). She even strays into folk territory in Unrequited (surely ripe for a Marc Almond cover version?). 


You can pick up a copy of Familia for a few pounds online if it floats yer boat or head down to your local chazzas to see if they've got one. 

PS: If you've not heard of theaudience here's one of their best tracks...


No comments: