Thursday, May 06, 2010

English Originals Weekend 14th - 16th May 2010

Badly Drawn Boy, Scott Matthews, Robyn Hitchcock, Martin Carthy, Graham Coxon, Eddi Reader, Beverly Martyn, Beth Orton, Bellowhead, Jackie Oates, Birmingham's very own rising stars Goodnight Lenin (plus the chance of one or two other HUGE names showing up...don't say I didn't warn you), yep, this year's English Originals 'mini fest' looks set to be the best ever. Held over May14th - May 16th in the Town and Symphony Halls the highlight, for me, is Friday night's tribute to the truly great John Martyn who passed away just over a year ago. John's perhaps not as well known as he deserves to be these days (he's right up there with the musical greats as far as I'm concerned) but once you get into his music I guarantee you'll be hooked. Just have a listen to his tribute to Nick Drake, 'Solid Air', recorded with Danny Thompson on double bass (who's also curating this tribute show)...awesome.

I think there are still a few tickets left for the show on the Friday 14th...and if you're lucky you might just scrape a seat for Blur's Graham Coxon on Saturday...but I'd get in sharpish if I were you.

No comments: