Monday, July 04, 2022

Let’s Rock Exeter 2022 – Powderham Castle, July 2nd 2022

Our fifth (I think…it’s hard for me to count that high) Let’s Rock and a reliably awesome line up once again. Thoroughly enjoyed every single act, which I can’t always say I have in the past, and spent almost 9 and a half hours at the front, beating last year's 8 hour record. Ouch.

There were too many highlights to list (and who the hell wants to read a list of highlights for a festival you probably weren’t at eh?) but special mentions must go to…deep breath…JoBoxers, who knew they didn’t just have 2 great songs and why the hell have they waited 30 odd years to get back together again?...Scritti Politti, greeting the crowd with a “Hello cats and kittens” Scritti Politti’s Green Gartside might look a little older but that voice, that angelic voice, good grief it’s as if the past 30+ years never happened…pop perfection…Tom Bailey, well, I’ve only waited 40 year to see Tom live and he didn’t disappoint,

an emotional singalong of You Take Me Up genuinely seemed to move him too…Heaven 17, one of my favourite synth pop bands and one I could frankly watch and listen to for 9 and a half hours alone…Belinda Carlisle, be still my beating heart…Billy Ocean,

what a legend and a bloody lovely bloke too by all accounts as I got chatting to his plumber before his set…Human League, blimey Phil doesn’t stand still for a second but manages to sound as imperious as ever, it’d be wonderful to hear some new material from them one day but I guess when you have as many great tracks as they do why mess with the setlist eh?

It rained a bit, the sun shone a bit, people moaned about the toilets a bit but I probably enjoyed this Let’s Rock a bit more than any of the others. How about Jimmy Somerville next year? And Cyndi Lauper? She’d be great! Grace Jones?! Yes. Hell yes! Although somehow I can’t see Grace appreciating seeing people dressed up as Beetlejuice…

No comments: