Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Thank Q for the music




I could ramble on for weeks about the sad decline of the physical music press (and the physical world in general...don't get me started) but suffice to say that without the likes of Smash Hits, NME, Melody Maker, Record Mirror, Q, Vox, Select, Mojo and Record Collector my life and musical education would have been a lot less rounded. Most of those names bit the dust ages ago but Q battled bravely on for 34 years only to fall yesterday. I stopped buying it and migrated to Mojo (free CD with every issue) quite some time ago after Q went with more of a list based formula but I must’ve been a loyal buyer and reader for 20 years or so. Goodness knows how many great bands and albums it turned me onto and how many hours I spent happily trawling through every issue (and back in the 80s and 90s some of them were epics)...  

No comments: