Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Mark Morriss @ The Blue Anchor, Teignmouth - Friday January 24th 2020



Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in 1995 a 25 year old me went to see up and coming popular beat combo Supergrass at Edwards in Brum supported by some band called The Bluetones. I fell for 'em that night, in particular Mark Morriss's lyrics and vocals, and even bought a 7 inch single for the not inconsiderable sum of £4...except Mark didn't have any change so I paid a fiver for it. In the intervening years I saw The Bluetones probably half a dozen times at various venues and stages in their career. And now, QUARTER OF A CENTURY since I first encountered the band, an almost 50 year old me's standing four feet away from their lead singer in a pub in Teignmouth. Time flies eh?

Morriss is in fine form, playing a set that spans the hits as well as a selection from his solo career (which is something that I really need to investigate). There's some comedy too, especially when the audience of mainly 40 somethings get the words wrong during Slight Return, "Come on, it's my big song...for f***** sake" he smirks before talking us through the right words. It's as good natured, heart warming and intimate a set that I've ever had of the pleasure of attending and a gentle reminder (and at my age you need that from time to time) of just what a great singer and lyricist Morriss is. Here's hoping he'll make a return, slight or otherwise, before too long. 

PS: Kudos to The Blue Anchor for putting on this gig, it's a great little venue and pub with a decent range of ales and cider on offer and a friendly bunch behind the bar. 

No comments: